by Staff Writers
Emeryville CA (SPX) Nov 18, 2011
New Logic Research has announced the successful commissioning of a full-scale VSEP membrane separation system at a Brazilian ethanol plant. The nanofiltration system was installed to concentrate an ethanol byproduct called vinasse (vinaza).
While vinasse has traditionally been applied directly to the fields as a fertilizer, recent evidence suggests this practice is reducing sugar crop yields and shortening the useful life of the land. Adding to the current vinasse challenge is a two-year drought that has further strained the Brazilian sugar crop.
With vinasse not being land-applied, the problems of storage and treatment are rapidly compounded. Traditional treatment methods, however, have fallen far short of their goals. Pipelines are costly to build and maintain, and the vinasse must be treated once it reaches its destination. Evaporators are effective, but their high capital and operating costs greatly upset ethanol's delicate energy balance, rendering the fuel energy-neutral at best.
Biological treatment systems have also been employed for vinasse treatment, but these large footprint systems present a host of operational challenges and only a partial solution to the problem. Standing in contrast to these treatment options is VSEP. VSEP's patented resonating design is inherently energy-efficient, achieves a perfect separation with no pretreatment, and does so in a compact footprint.
The i84 VSEP nanofiltration system currently recovers 70% of the raw vinasse as clean water for irrigation, leaving a concentrated vinasse that's just 30% of its starting volume. This high nutrient value vinasse stream is currently sent to storage ponds while the ethanol producer weighs a multitude of options for beneficial reuse.
"With a vinasse to ethanol ratio of 16:1, the need for innovative treatment methods is clear. The success of this full-scale system validates the data collected at both the lab and pilot phases of the technology evaluation, and promises a very bright future for VSEP in Brazil," said New Logic CEO Greg Johnson.
New Logic Research
Bio Fuel Technology and Application News
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Vegetable oil powers vehicle to record
Boise, Idaho (UPI) Nov 16, 2011
A vehicle built by a student club at Boise State University has claimed the record for the world's fastest vehicle running on vegetable oil, club members said. The modified S-10 pickup truck by the Greenspeed team made two record-breaking runs, shattering the existing 109 mph record for vegetable oil-fueled vehicles with a run of 139 mph and then posting another record run of 155 mph, a ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|